HeadlinesBriefing favicon HeadlinesBriefing.com

Appeals court grants NCAA stay on extra eligibility year

ESPN General •
×

The NCAA won a legal victory Friday when the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals granted a stay that temporarily halts a federal judge's order granting thousands of athletes an extra year of eligibility. The order had opened the door for all athletes who started college in the 2022-23 academic year and played four consecutive seasons to return for a fifth. NCAA chief legal officer Scott Bearby told schools the association's age-based eligibility rules were back in effect.

The stay does not wipe out the dozens of athletes who have successfully petitioned for restraining orders to play a fifth season in state courts. The decision could spark more lawsuits and confusion with only two weeks remaining before college football season begins. Bearby said the NCAA plans to "expeditiously" fight other rulings that have allowed similarly situated players back into college sports.

The NCAA changed its rules earlier this year to allow athletes five seasons in a five-year window, but the Division I board decided in June the change would not apply to outgoing seniors. More than 100 outgoing seniors have since sued. Friday's decision relates to a class action led by Northern Colorado basketball player Brock Wisne, who argues the NCAA is violating antitrust law. Separately, a Louisiana judge granted 32 athletes, including some on NFL rosters, restraining orders.