HeadlinesBriefing favicon HeadlinesBriefing.com

Cuba claims Trump administration negotiating in bad faith

New York Times Top Stories •
×

Cuba’s UN ambassador, Ernesto Soberón Guzmán, told a New York Times interview on Wednesday that Havana remains willing to negotiate with Washington, but accuses the Trump administration of manufacturing excuses for a possible military strike. He said the island nation seeks dialogue to ease sanctions and restore normal trade, yet perceives U.S. actions as pre‑emptive rather than diplomatic, and avoid escalation in the Caribbean.

U.S. sanctions imposed in 2023 have choked Cuba’s tourism and sugar exports, shrinking GDP by an estimated 4% last year. Previous back‑channel talks in the Bahamas collapsed after Washington demanded the release of political prisoners, a condition Havana refused. By framing the dispute as a security issue, Washington risks further isolating a market that once attracted $1.5 billion in annual tourism revenue and signal to allies.

Analysts warn that prolonged diplomatic deadlock could deter foreign firms from entering Cuba’s nascent private‑sector reforms, keeping credit‑rating agencies on watch. Without a clear pathway to lift sanctions, Cuban banks may continue to rely on limited remittances, curbing consumer spending. The standoff leaves investors with little incentive to commit capital until a tangible negotiation framework emerges for future growth.