HeadlinesBriefing favicon HeadlinesBriefing.com

Congo Ebola Outbreak Spreads Beyond Ituri

Bloomberg Markets •
×

When three members of his hospital team died within days of treating the same patient, Dr Richard Lokudu suspected Ebola had been spreading before authorities detected the outbreak. The patient arrived at Mongbwalu General Hospital in Ituri Province in early April, weeks before the DRC officially declared an Ebola outbreak on May 15. Three months later, more than 4,900 confirmed cases and over 2,300 deaths have been recorded, surpassing the 2018–2020 record. The current outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus disease, a rare form first identified in Uganda in 2007, with no licensed vaccines or specific approved therapies.

The WHO says the outbreak was first identified in Ituri and later spread to other provinces including North Kivu. Armed conflict, population movement, and delays in identifying cases have complicated containment. Africa CDC is supporting surveillance, laboratory work, and community engagement. Professor Pierre Akilimali notes laboratory capacity has expanded to 12 laboratories in Ituri, but early reliance on external facilities slowed confirmation.

Health workers face conflict, difficult terrain, and community mistrust. Dr Thierno Balde says uncontrolled movement of ill people drives geographical spread. Dr Charles Kashindi notes gunfire prevents teams from holding positions. Residents like Furaha Gisèle fear the epidemic amid insecurity and poverty.